Those who have had the pleasure of playing pickleball will already understand why it’s considered to be one of the fastest growing sports in the whole of America.
It started out as an amateur game, and was merely played for fun between friends and other aficionados.
As time has moved on however, it’s actually been taken seriously as a legitimate sport. In fact, in America alone, it’s estimated that there are over five million pickleball players.
When it comes to playing pickleball like a pro, those of you out there who have been playing for a while will know that it’s important to have the right equipment.
Having the right equipment can even be that minor difference between winning and losing. You’ll need all the right accessories, the best net to play on, and most importantly, the best paddle.
In pickleball, it’s all about control, so if you want to get the most out of the game, and be able to command the ball in the direction you want it to go, you’re going to need to find a good paddle.
Thankfully, this is where we come in. We’re here to help you find the very best pickleball paddle to give you that control you need over the game.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of some of the very best pickleball paddles on the market today, as well as where you can purchase them.
You’ll also find a handy buyers guide that can tell you about each of the different aspects to consider when buying a pickleball paddle.
To find out more, simply keep reading below, as we take a closer look.
What Is Pickleball?
Before we jump straight in and take a closer look at some of the best paddles for control for playing pickleball, it’s important to explain what the game consists of for those who don’t know.
Pickleball is essentially very similar to tennis. It’s played on a court between two people, and involves hitting a ball over the net, until somebody commits a rule infraction.
It’s considered to be more beginner friendly than tennis however, because it doesn’t involve having to perform an overhand serve.
With pickleball, you will always be conducting an underhand serve, which is slightly easier to perform.
You’re also using solid, hard paddles to hit the ball, rather than a net as you would with tennis.
Because of this fact, pickleball is often considered to be a combination of both tennis and ping pong, which adds to its appeal.
Pickleball Paddle Product Reviews
Now that we’ve taken a closer look at what pickleball consists of for those who don’t already know, we can move on to discuss our product reviews.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of some of the very best pickleball paddles on the market that can help to grant you ultimate control over the game.
Each of these have pros and cons, and you can use these to determine which ones might be most suitable for your needs. To find out more, keep reading below.
OUR TOP PICK
Now, we couldn’t start off our list without mentioning the Onix Graphite Z5.
If you’ve been watching any pickleball tournaments on the TV recently, then you’ve probably seen a lot of the professional players on the screen using this one.
It’s considered to be one of the very best pickleball paddles for power. So if you need more control over the speed of your ball, this one might be a good option for you.
It’s great also because it has an elongated shape, and this gives you more reach.
The face of the paddle is also quite wide, so it’s easier to block incoming balls, or dink them in the opposite direction. It’s also fairly lightweight, so your wrist won’t get tired using it.
This paddle is considered to be beginner friendly, all the way up to advanced.
- Price - This one is considered to be one of the least pricey pickleball paddles on the market
- Approved By USA - This paddle has been approved by the USA Pickleball association.
- Large Surface Area - This allows you to block incoming balls in a more efficient way.
- Elongated Shape - Which gives you more reach during the game.
- Practice - This one might take a little longer to get used to than others.
- Power - Although this isn’t necessarily a con, it’s a powerful paddle, and could prove to be too much for absolute beginners who are still learning to bat properly.
The second pickleball paddle on our list is called the Juice Carbon, and is considered to be similar to the ever popular Echo.
However, it’s considered to be superior to the Echo in several ways. One of the key things about this paddle is the high quality material that it’s made from, specifically woven carbon fiber.
Woven carbon fiber faces are known to deliver more power in every shot, so if you’re looking for a strong paddleball to quash your opponent, this one might be the one for you.
In addition, it has a very good level of control, and is considered to have one of the best ‘sweet spots’ of all the paddles on the market.
- Control - Good level of control and easy to get the ball to move in the direction you need.
- Woven Carbon Fiber - Provides a lot of power with every shot.
- No Vibration - When you hit the ball, it won’t cause much reverberation on your paddle at all.
- Sleek Design - This paddle looks very high end and luxurious.
- Price - This one is a little more expensive than the others on our list, but is still only 20 dollars more expensive than the Echo, which makes it a good choice if you’re willing to spend a little more.
- Sells Out - You might struggle to grab this one before it sells out, because it’s one of the most popular paddles out there currently.
Another incredibly popular pickleball paddle for control is the Spade, which is also one of the most sought after paddles at the moment.
The Spade paddle is known for having an incredible honeycomb core, which helps both with strategy and looks incredibly aesthetically pleasing.
One of the best things about the core is that it boasts consistency with every shot. You won’t find any awkward reverberations.
Another major benefit of this paddle is that you can play a two handed backhand using it.
In addition to this, if you’re somebody who hopes to be playing tennis soon, and converting to a different game, this is probably the best paddle for you.
It’s great for giving you the ultimate control over the game, and the long handle emulates a tennis racket, making it easy to switch between the two sports.
Just the same, if you’re somebody who’s been playing tennis for a while, and want to give paddleball a try, then we’d recommend using this paddle, as it can help to give you a similar level of control over the game.
- Dynamic - One of the best things about this paddle is that, due to the shape, it’s great from converting between pickleball and tennis and vice versa.
- Lightweight - So your wrist won’t tire out during the game.
- Elongated Handle - This helps to give you more freedom of movement.
- Consistent - This paddle is controlled and consistent with every shot.
- Expensive - This is another one of the most pricey paddles on our list.
- Specifically Tailored - although anyone can use and enjoy this paddle, it is tailored with tennis players in mind, so it might not be the first choice for you.
If you’re looking for a paddle that comes with the highest quality materials out there, then you should definitely consider the Premium Pickleball Paddle.
It’s excellent at delivering power with every shot, and incredibly performance driven.
We would also say that this is a great paddle for those who are just getting started out with the game. It’s a general all rounder, and can help you to get your control over the ball down early on.
If you want the ultimate control over the game, then this also might be one to consider.
At the center of the paddle, you have a very large and wide sweet spot, which makes it far easier to direct the ball in the direction you want it to go.
It’s also got a rough texture, which allows the ball to travel further and at a quicker pace.
- Beginner Friendly - Great for those who are just getting started out with playing pickleball.
- Rough Surface Area - Which allows the ball to travel further.
- Large Sweet Spot - So that you have more control over the direction that you want to hit the ball.
- Price - Despite being made from extremely high end materials, this paddle is one of the least expensive on our list.
- Tailored For Beginners - Despite being an excellent paddle for those just getting started out with the game, this one might not be the best for players who are more advanced.
- Brightly Colored - Some might not be a fan of the neon color scheme options displayed by the collection.
We would say that this final paddle on our list is one of the very best when it comes to control.
That’s right, this pickleball paddle boasts the perfect midweight feel, that gives you the ultimate control over each shot.
It’s not ideal for when you want to dink, but if that isn’t your style of play, and you’re simply looking for a more steadfast mastery of the game, then this is the one for you.
Gamma Sports is also well known for being a high quality brand, and if you’ve been watching any professional pickleball games recently, you will have noticed several players sporting their brand.
In addition, if you’re looking for power, this one can help to give you that speed that you need to tackle the game, thanks to the honeycomb core that the paddle boasts.
- Honeycomb Core - Gives you more power over each shot.
- Midweight Paddle - Rather than being lightweight like some of the other paddles on our list, this one is midweight, and as a result, is helpful for ball control.
- Good For Power Players - If you’re good at power play in pickleball, then this one might be a natural choice for you.
- Color Options - This paddle boasts a host of different color options that you can choose from.
- Weight - Although not necessarily a con, this paddle is heavier than many of the others on our list, so if you prefer a lighter weight, it might not be the one for you.
- Unsuitable For Dinking - We would say that overall, this isn’t the best paddle for dinking because of its heavier weight.
Now that we’ve taken a look at some of the best paddles on the market that can help to give you the control you require over the game, we can move on to discuss our buyers guide.
This buyer's guide will take you through everything you need to consider before buying your paddle board.
To find out more, simply keep reading below, as we take a closer look.
Of course, as you know, here we’re looking at the very best paddles to grant you more control over the game. As a result, this is the key thing that you’ll be looking for when purchasing your paddle.
If you want to find a paddle that’s perfect for giving you more control over the game, then we would recommend that you search for one that has a large sweet spot. You’ll find several of these on our list above.
By choosing a paddle with a larger sweet spot, it will allow you more control over the direction you want the ball to go.
If you want to find a paddleboard that will give you control over the game, then it’s important to consider the material that the paddle is made from.
For example, if you were looking for more control over the direction that your ball was headed, we wouldn’t recommend purchasing a wooden paddle.
Despite the fact that these were extremely popular when the game first emerged, they don’t actually give you much return with the ball.
In addition, if it's the control you’re looking for, then we wouldn’t recommend purchasing a paddle with a fiberglass core either.
Although these paddles are great for delivering power with each shot, they are better for swift dinking that overall control.
The best material that we’d recommend for ultimate control over the game is one with a thick core, and carbon fiber face. These are the best for delivering slow and steady shots throughout the game.
Another thing that we’d urge you to consider when playing pickleball is that you choose one with a suitable grip.
Oftentimes with pickleball paddles, you’ll find that they’re either too thin, forcing you to over-compromise your grip, or too thick, so that you can’t hook your hand around it all the way.
This can actually make you more prone to injury, and can begin to feel uncomfortable over time. This is why we recommend that you take a look at the grip size first, before making your purchase.
You want to find one that’s as comfortable as possible.
In addition to this, you’ll want to check out the vibration absorption of your paddle. If you choose one that doesn’t have vibration resistance, this can be extremely fatiguing for your wrist, and cause discomfort over time.
The final item that we’ll mention in terms of choosing the best pickleball paddle is price.
Pickleball paddles vary greatly in terms of price, and you’ll typically be able to find ones being sold anywhere from 60 to over 300 dollars.
The amount that you want to invest in a pickleball paddle is entirely up to you. On our list above, you’ll find paddles that are slightly more expensive, and also ones that are more budget friendly.
It’s completely possible to find one in the mid range category, it’s just about doing your research and being discerning.
To sum up, there are lots of great paddles out there that can grant you more control over the game. When shopping, be sure to consider aspects such as material, grip, vibration absorbency, and price.